
WEDNESDAY APRIL 2
$722K IN FOOD SHIPMENTS TO EAST TN FOOD BANK CANCELLED BY US DEPT OF AG
21 TRACTOR TRAILER LOADS OF FOOD COMING TO EAST TENNESSEE WERE CANCELLED BY THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE. ACCORDING TO 2ND HARVEST FOOD BANK OF EAST TENNESSEE, THE LOADS CONTAINED 722,000 DOLLARS WORTH OF USDA COMMODITIES FOOD, AND REPRESENTS MORE THAN 377,000 POUNDS OF NUTRITIOUS PROTEINS AND DAIRY. THE SHIPMENTS WERE SCHEDULED TO ARRIVE BETWEEN APRIL AND JULY BEFORE BEING CANCELLED ON MARCH 24TH. THE FOOD WAS FUNDED BY THE COMMODITIES CREDIT CORPORATION, WHICH IS PAUSED DUE TO FEDERAL REVIEW. 2ND HARVEST SAID THE IMPACT IS IMMEDIATE, ADDING THAT FAMILIES WHO RELY ON FOOD ASSISTANCE COULD FACE SHORTAGES AS FUNDING CUTS TO THE USDA HAVE DISRUPTED FOOD BANK SHIPMENTS ACROSS THE NATION.
SULLIVAN CO HEALTH DEPT FACING OVER $2M FUNDING LOSS
THE SULLIVAN COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT SAID MONDAY IT’LL HAVE TO CUT MORE THAN 2 MILLION DOLLARS FROM ITS 10 MILLION DOLLAR BUDGET IN PROGRAMS AND PLANS, DUE TO ROLLBACK OF COVID-19 ERA GRANT FUNDING. HEALTH DEPARTMENT LEADERS SAID THE CUTS ARE IMMEDIATE AND WOULD LIKELY HAVE A NEGATIVE IMPACT ON RESIDENTS WHO USE THE DEPARTMENT’S SERVICES. GARY MAYES, DIRECTOR OF THE SULLIVAN COUNTY REGIONAL HEALTH DEPARTMENT SAID AFTER THE PANDEMIC, THE FUNDING HAS CONTINUED TO GO TOWARD PUBLIC HEALTH EFFORTS, BUT NOW THE COUNTY WILL NEED TO CUT ITEMS THAT WERE TO BE FUNDED WOTH THAT GRANT MONEY. THINGS LIKE VACCINE CAMPAIGNS, EMS RADIOS, ELECTRONIC HEALTH RECORDS, NEW EXAM TABLES AND MORE. BECAUSE THE COUNTY CHOSE NOT TO USE THE GRANT MONEY FOR ADDITIONAL STAFF, NO JOBS WILL BE LOST DUE TO THE CUTS.
AUTHORITIES INVESTIGATING CRASH AT ABINGDON HOSPITAL AMID ALLEGED ISIS THREATS
AUTHORITIES ARE INVESTIGATING A CRASH AT JOHNSTON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL IN ABINGDON AMID ALLEGED ISIS THREATS. ACCORDING TO VIRGINIA STATE POLICE, THE CRASH INTO THE FRONT OF THE HOSPITAL HAPPENED FEBRUARY 22ND AT 12:53 PM. A MEDICAL EMERGENCY IS BEING LOOKED INTO AS A POTENTIAL CAUSE FOR THE CRASH. MEANWHILE, POLICE SAID THAT ON MARCH 18TH, THE VIRGINIA FUSION CENTER’S SHIELD PROGRAM RELEASED A BULLETIN NOTING THAT AN X POST SHARED BY MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS WITH LARGE FOLLOWINGS ALLEGED AN IMPENDING ATTACK BY ISIS-K TARGETING HOSPITALS. THE POST SPECIFIED THE USE OF VEHICLE BORNE IMPROVISED EXPLOSIVE DEVICES, FOLLOWED BY ARMED ASSAULTS AND HOSTAGE TAKING. AS OF MARCH 28TH, THE VIRGINIA FUSION CENTER HAS RECEIVED NO CORROBORATING INFORMATION TO CONFIRM THIS THREAT. IN ADDITION, NO OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION HAS BEEN ISSUED BY FEDERAL AUTHORITIES.
A LAWSUIT BY INMATES IS CHALLENGING TN PLANS TO RESUME EXECUTIONS
NINE TENNESSEE DEATH ROW INMATES ARE SUING THE STATE OVER ITS PUSH FOR A NEW ROUND OF LETHAL INJECTION, AFTER AN EXECUTION WAS ABRUPTLY CALLED OFF IN 2022, AND FOLLOW-UP INVESTIGATION FOUND SCORES OF MISSTEPS IN SEVERAL EXECUTIONS. THE LAWSUIT WAS FILED ON MARCH 14TH IN STATE COURT, NEARLY THREE MONTHS AFTER OFFICIALS ANNOUNCED A NEW LETHAL INJECTION PROTOCOL USING THE SINGLE DRUG PENTOBARBITAL. THE TENNESSEE SUPREME COURT RECENTLY AGREED TO SCHEDULE EXECUTIONS FOR FOUR INMATES WITH THE FIRST SET FOR MAY. THE LAWSUIT ARGUES THAT PAIN AND SUFFERING FROM EXECUTIONS USING PENTOBARBITAL VIOLATE THE 8TH AMENDMENT’S BAN ON CRUEL AND UNUSUAL PUNISHMENT. THEY ALSO CONTEND THAT THE DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS HAS FAILED TO MAKE CHANGES TO THE EXECUTION PROCESS, AS THE GOVERNOR AND THE AN INDEPENDENT INVESTIGATOR RECOMMENDED. THE ATTORNEY GENERAL’S OFFICE SAID IT’S REVIEWING THE LAWSUIT.
VONDA STAR SMITH SEEKS DISMISSAL OF MURDER CONVICTIONS OR NEW TRIAL
AN AFTON WOMAN IS SEEKING TO HAVE HER MURDER CONVICTIONS OVERTURNED. VONDA SMITH IS SEEKING THE DISMISSAL OF HER MURDER CONVICTIONS IN CONNECTION WITH THE DEATH OF 21 YEAR OLD JESSIE NICOLE MORRISON AND HER UNBORN CHILD IN AUGUST 2016. SMITH APPEARED REMOTELY FROM THE WEST TENNESSEE STATE PENITENTIARY LAST WEEK BEFORE JUDGE JOHN DUGGER FOR A POST CONVICTION RELIEF HEARING. THE JUDGE HAS YET TO RULE ON THE REQUEST FOR DISMISSAL OF HER 1ST AND 2ND DEGREE MURDER CONVICTIONS OR A NEW TRIAL. SMITH WAS SENTENCED BY DIGGER IN 2018, AFTER JURY FOUND HER GUILTY. SMITH WAS SENTENCED TO A LIFE SENTENCE ON THE 1ST DEGREE MURDER CHARGE, AND 25 YEARS ON THE 2ND DEGREE CONVICTION, WITH THE SENTENCES TO RUN CONCURRENT.
JONESBOROUGH MAN CHARGED WITH VEHICULAR HOMICIDE
WASHINGTON COUNTY SHERIFF’S DEPUTIES HAVE CHARGED A JONESBOROUGH MAN WITH VEHICULAR HOMICIDE. ACCORDING TO SHERIFF KEITH SEXTON. DEPUTIES RESPONDED TO AN INCIDENT IN THE 100 BLOCK OF HILLTOP ROAD SHORTLY AFTER 2 AM ON MONDAY. A WOMAN HAD BEEN STRUCK BY A VAN DRIVEN BY 46 YEAT OLD DANIEL CZERWONKA. SHE LATER DIED OF HER INJURIES. NO OTHE DETAILS OF THE INCIDENT HAVE BEEN RELEASED.
POLICE INVESTIGATING AFTER SHOTS ALLEGEDLY HEARD
JOHNSON CITY POLICE BLOCKED OFF THE 600 BLOC OF EAST FAIRVIEW AVENUE WITH TAPE TUESDAY NIGHT. RESIDENTS SAID THEY HEARD TWO OR THREE POPS, FOLLOWED BY ARGUING BEFORE POLICE ARRIVED. ACCORDING TO REPORTS, POLICE WERE SEEN SEARCHING FOR EVIDENCE. OFFICERS ON SCENE SAID A SUSPECT WAS IN CUSTODY AND A VICTIM WAS TAKEN TO A HOSPITAL, AND IS EXPECTED TO SURVIVE.
BODY FOUND IN AVERY CO NC IDENTIFIED AS TELFORD MAN MISSING SINCE HELENE
THE AVERY COUNTY NORTH CAROLINA SHERIFF’S OFFICE CONFIRMED THAT A BODY FOUND ALONG THE NORTH TOE RIVER WAS THAT OF A NORTHEAST TENNESSEE MAN WHO HAD BEEN MISSING SINCE HELENE. THE SHERIFF’S OFFICE SAID THE CHIEF MEDICAL EXAMINER IN RALIEGH IDENTIFIED THE BODY AS 66 YEAR OLD RUSSELL WILBUR OF TELFORD. WILBUR AND HIS WIFE SHARLENE WERE CAMPING AT THE BUCK HILL CAMPGROUND IN AVERY COUNTY, WHEN THEIR CAMPER WAS SWEPT INTO THE TOE RIVER. CHARLENE WILBUR’S BODY WAS FOUND ON OCTOBER 24TH IN THE INGALLS COMMUNITY. ACCORDING TO THE SHERIFF’S OFFICE, A DEBRIS CLEAN UP CREW FOUND RUSSELL WILBUR’S BODY FRIDAY NEAR BENT ROAD IN THE INGALLS COMMUNITY. THIS BRINGS THE OFFICIAL COUNT FOR HELENE RELATED MISSING AND DISEASED TO 1 MISSING AND 6 DEAD.
TRAFFIC STOP LEADS TO DISCOVERY OF ONE POUND OF METH
A MAN WAS ARRESTED LATE MONDAY AFTERNOON FOLLOWING A TRAFFIC STOP IN BRISTOL VIRGINIA, DURING WHICH POLICE OFFICERS REPORTEDLY FOUND MORE THAN ONE POUND OF METH IN HIS VEHICLE. ACCORDING TO A RELEASE FROM THE BRISTOL VIRGINIA POLICE DEPARTMENT, AN OFFICER CONDUCTED A TRAFFIC STOP ON A VEHICLE AROUND 5:14 PM. THE DRIVER OF THE VEHICLE 46 YEAR OLD CHRISTOPHER JONES OF BRISTOL VIRGINIA WAS FOUND TO HAVE AN ACTIVE WARRANT FOR VIOLATION OF PROBATION. DURING A SEARCH OF THE VEHICLE, OFFICERS FOUND ABOUT 1 ½ POUNDS OF METH AND VARIOUS DRUG PARAPHERNALIA. JONES WAS SERVED AN OUTSTANDING WARRANT AND CHARGED WITH POSSESSION WITH INTENT TO DISTRIBUTE A SCHEDULE I OR II DRUG, AND RECEIVED SEVERAL TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS.
USDA TO DISTRIBUTE WILDLIFE VACCINE FOR RABIES IN TN & VA
THE U.S. DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, THE TENNESSEE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND VIRGINIA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH WILL DISTRIBUTE ORAL RABIES VACCINE BAITS FOR WILDLIFE IN NORTHEAST TENNESSEE AND SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA. THE SMELL OF THE BAITS ATTRACTS WILD ANIMALS, THAT THEN EAT THE BAIT AND ARE VACCINATED AGAINST RABIES. DISTRIBUTION OF THE BAITS WHICH BAGAN YESTERDAY IS DONE VIA SMALL AIRPLANES, HELICOPTERS AN VEHICLES. THE VACCINES ARE SAFE FOR DOMESTIC CATS AND DOGS. THE BAITING USUALLY TAKES PLACE IN THE FALL, BUT WAS POSTPONES IN 2024 DUE TO HELENE.
3 TEENS ARRESTED FOR ALLEGEDLY CAUSING TABLE ROCK FIRE IN SC & NC
OFFICIALS WITH THE SOUTH CAROLINA FORESTRY COMMISSION HAVE ARRESTED THREE TEENAGERS IN CONNECTION WITH THE TABLE ROCK FIRE, WHICH HAS NOW SPREAD TO NEARLY 14,000 ACRES IN SOUTH AND NORTH CAROLINA. THE TEENS WERE EACH CHARGED WITH ONE COUNT OF NEGLIGENTLY ALLOWING FIRE TO SPREAD TO LANDS OR PROPERTY OF ANOTHER. THE FIRE WAS DISCOVERED BY AUTHORITIES WHO WERE SEARCHING FOR A MISSING HIKER. INTERVIEWS WITH 7 HIKERS WHO WERE EVACUATED LEAD TO 4 SUSPECT, 19 YEAR OLD NYZAIRE JAH-NEIZ MARSH, 18 YEAR OLD TRISTEN TYLER, 18 YEAR OLD ISAAC WILSON, AND A MINOR. ARREST WARRANTS SAY THE THREE WERE SMOKING ON A HIKING TRAIL AT A STATE PARK AND DID NOT PROPERLY EXTINGUISH THEIR CIGARETTES, WHICH AUTHORITIES SAY LED TO THE FIRE. THE JUVENILE INVOLVED WAS CHARGED WITH THE SAME OFFENSE. AUTHORITIES SAY THE FIRE COVERS 13,287 ACRES IN SOUTH CAROLINA AND 635 IN NORTH CAROLINA. IT IS 30 PERCENT CONTAINED.
TDOH CONFIRMS THREE NEW CASES OF MEASLES IN TN
THE TENNESSEE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH HAS CONFIRMED THREE MORE CASES OF MEASLES IN TENNESSEE, BRINGING THE TOTAL TO FOUR CASES IN TENNESSEE. THE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH SAYS THAT ONE OF THE NEW CASES IS RELATED TO TENNESSEE’S FIRST CONFIRMED MEASLES CASE ON MARCH 21ST. NO ADDITIONAL DETAILS WERE PROVIDED REGARDING TENNESSEE’S POSITIVE CASES. WHILE ALL THREE NEWLY CONFIRMED CASES ARE REPORTEDLY BEING HELD IN THEIR HOMES, PUBLIC HEALTH OFFICIALS ARE NOW WORKING TO IDENTIFY OTHER LOCATIONS AND PEOPLE WHO COULD HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO THE VIRUS.